I’m sorry about the radio silence that has become my blog recently. It has been a very eventful few weeks and I have not had the time or energy to make a proper post. I’m hoping this one will be ok for now. I think I’ll be posting every few weeks instead of weekly from here on out. If you follow me on Instagram or Facebook you may see more of what going on even though I don’t post regularly there either.
Pregnancy updates weeks 24-26
- Movement: Crazy insane baby moment all the time. I can watch my belly make shapes and guess what body parts are what. Almost everyone in the family has felt a few strong jabs as well. Daiton changed the position of his legs so now I see his feet a lot and it makes my tummy sharp and pointy looking a lot. Emerie stretches so big that her head becomes visible and her feet make an appearance on my left side.
- Two scans: Both went great and all the doctors seem happy with their growth and progression as well as my health. I start every other week appointments now and shortly will start NST tests.
- Glucose test: Going in for my glucose test this week sometime and I’m expecting to pass given everything else seems perfectly fine.
- Swelling: The weight of my belly is starting to take a toll on my legs and feet. Serious swelling is now a daily fight, my wedding ring is not something a can wear daily anymore.😔 I wake up and start swelling without doing anything, the more I’m on my feet the more I swell. None of my shoes fit properly anymore and most of my socks are too small also. I need a pair of cushy and supportive open shoes for the next few months.
- Anxiety has started to creep its way back into my life and for no appearing reason. Just comes and goes when it pleases but likes to stay around in the evening before bedtime.
- Sleeping is both easier and harder. Easier because I’m falling asleep faster, yet I’m still taking Benadryl and Promethazine almost nightly with the OK from my doc to help with sleeping. Harder because I am waking up a ton during the night to go pee and sometimes the moment I lay back down to got to sleep I have to pee again! The weight of my belly makes it difficult to easily change positions throughout the night and using my Snoogles are a hate love situation now.
- Eating: I feel the need to constantly snack and when I don’t I get weak and cranky really fast. With the moving the past few weeks I’ve been eating very infrequently and it’s noticeable to me that my body doesn’t handle that well. I lose concentration and focus, get sleepy and lethargic as well as become agitated easily. Yet merging our food habits with the families is harder than expected also, so there hasn’t been any normal eating habits happening just yet. That needs to change.
- Weight gain: This past month I gained 22lbs. I was concerned my weight gain was a sign of gestational diabetes or something more, but my OB has reassured me that it’s just the babies growing very rapidly right now. She said not to worry and that I am still within my healthy weight gain for twins. I’m up 26lbs from prepregnancy at 26 weeks and could healthily gain 20 more pounds and still be within a good range. So I guess I’m content with that. Looking at pictures it really is mainly in the belly and boobs, my ass is bigger too but not more than I had expected. The shear weight of my belly is making getting up, rolling over, sitting and standing hard. I’m scared to think how much longer I have to go and bigger I will get 😁.
- Emotions: All in all I think I’ve been “normal” and my wife can attest to that. Everyone says that the crazy is coming soon and not to get comfortable thinking I’ve won that battle. We will see. Only difference I’ve noticed is I want to be with Kate more often and be touching her or her touching me. I hate when she walks away from me or seems to be staying away from me for too long lol. At our baby shower I felt I had to ask her to be with me or she was off drinking and talking with her friends without me. That was the only time a legitimately felt neglected by her and was kinda peeved since it was OUR shower. I get overwhelmed quickly with others negative emotions and want to cry when others are emotional. But all of those are infrequent and I don’t find it too crazy. My main emotion these days are tired and overly lovey.
- Labor and delivery: we have chosen to go with our local hospital since they have a NICU on site and our babies may need one. I can’t stand the thought of not being down the hall from them if they need the NICU. The hospital also had nitrous oxide as a pain relieving option which I’ve heard a lot of great things about. I’m not interested in a epidural if at all avoidable and narcotics also sound unappealing to me. Since I want to try to go au natural having a less medication option like nitrous oxide sounds good to me. We will be having our babies in the OR no matter what as is the policy at any hospital near us for twins. We can have one person outside of Kate in there with us and that will be our Doula K. Outside of her job as doula she will take picures and hopefully film the birth as well since I do not want Kate doing that part yet I do want it captured some how. The OR is very small but I’m hoping we can set up a camera on a tripod somewhere. My OB said that I can labor in a labor room until the babies are visually starting to come out and they can wheel me right into the OR so I can be in any position I choose up until deleivery where I have to be either on my back of on my side.
- Things I miss: Having a glass of wine or beer without judgment by myself or others (I’ve had maybe two beers and glass of wine this whole time) and the relaxation it gives you. Not peeing and pooping 20 times a day and having a hard time reaching to wipe because of my belly. Breathing without thinking about it. Reaching for anything further than 4 inches from me. Not having constant throbbing from swelling in my hands, legs and feet. Being able to tie shoe laces and put on socks without serious strain or help. Taking a really hot shower or bath, and being fully submerged in the bath. Not sighing from exhaustion from doing simple daily activities and tasks!
- What I’m looking forward to:
Pregnancy related: Our next growth scan in a week, I love seeing them in more and more detail each time. Hoping we get a good 3D image of them both this time with less placental intrusion. Getting the all clear from my glucose test. Moving into the third trimester! Starting our doula appointments. Having our maternity photoshoot.
Non pregnancy related: Getting more settled in our new space and having a place to put everything and find everything easily. Being able to relax and mentally prepare ourselves for the arrival of these two little beings. Getting out of town for 4 whole days to go up to my home town for my 10 year reunion. We will be using it as a babymoon type getaway as well and pampering ourselves with river trips, sleeping and fun friendly outings. Get to see people who haven’t seen me pregnant yet and who I haven’t seen in a long time in general.
Gifts & Purchases for the babies
- MomaRoo (1)
- Changing table/dresser
- Fisher~Price Auto Rock’n Play Sleeper (2)
- Disposable diapers: Size NB= 451, Size 1= 1,200 and Size 2= 24 (Huggies, Pampers and Honest Co.)
- Cloth diapers: aprox. 4/5 diaper covers, 40 diaper inserts and prefolds and 2 all in one diapers. Unsure the brand and sizes of all cause they are packed away. Most were given to us from a lady my mom works for who’s babies don’t or coudnt use them except the prefolds which are the Gerber mesh kind purchased new for us from our neighbors.
- Disposable mesh cloth diaper liners (1 roll) never heard of this before.
- Disposable baby wipes: 11pks or 616 total wipes.
- Britax B-Safe 35 Elite car seats with bases (2) one was gifted and the other we found on clearance at Target for $53 cause it was an online return! SCORE!
- Moby wrap (2) both used and gifted.
- Tommee Tippee 5oz bottles (6) Advent (1) Generic (1) hoping to get some Comotomo bottles to try as well.
- Skip Hop chevron print diaper bag(1), Diaperdude.com messenger style diaper bag(1).
- Fisher~Price Space Saver high chair (1)
- Eddie Bauer First Adventure Roller Shades, for the car windows (2)
- Munchkin bottle drying rack and dishwasher basket
- Motorola Digital Video Baby Monitor with Two Cameras
- Infantino Squeeze Station with refrigerator organizer and 50 disposable food pouches.
- Teething mesh food pacifiers in silicone and mesh cloth. Freezable teething ring and elephant teething toy (like a Sophie).
- Baby hangers in blue and pink, closet organizer rings by clothing size and clips that attach to the hangers for pants and skirts.
- Itzbeen digital feeding and changing timer/clock (this was given to us used)
- Advent and Tommee Tippee pacifiers (12)
- Nasal bulb/aspirators (3)
- Bottle brush (1)
- American Cross baby cleaning and medication kit
- Aveeno Baby essential daily care baby&momma kit, Butt Paste, Weleda baby & child Calendula diaper rash cream, Natural baby wash, travel wipes holder, travel disposable bibs and diaper changing cloths.
- Car seat strap covers from Eddie Bauer First Advantage, super cute owl design (2pks)
- Lansinoh disposable breast pads, breats milk storage bags and breast milk storage bottles.
- Books for babies (20+) only one from our wish list so we need to buy more for “our kind” of family.
- Baby Bjorn bouncer (1) given to us used from a friend.
- Changing pad and pad cover (1ea)
- Baby wash cloths and towels (4 towels and 10 cloths)
- Baby clothes Emerie: NB onesies=14, sleepers=5, pants=8, dresses=4, shirts=1,mittens= 3pairs, jackets=0 0-3 onesies=23, sleepers=3, pants=13, dresses=2, shirts=6, bloomers=2, jackets=2 3-6 onesies=21, sleepers=13, pants=5, dresses=0, shirts=3, jackets=4 6-9 onesies=11, sleepers=1, pants=3, dresses=1, jackets=2 (socks and hats are vaired in sizes and most are unknown, their are lots of both).
- Baby clothes for Daiton: NB onesies=14, sleepers=5, pants=5, shirts=2, jackets=2, mittens=3pairs 0-3 onesies=30, sleepers=8, pants=11, shirts=4, jackets=2 3-6 onesies=24, sleepers=14, pants=2, shirts=0, jackets=0 6mos onesies=17, sleepers=9, pants=6, shirts=2, jackets=0 6-9 onesies=6, sleepers=1, pants=4, shirts=1, jackets=0
Purchases yet to be made
- Medela Pump In Style Advanced (used from a friend) and all the storage and tubing.
- LactAid supplemental feeding system (in case we need to supplement for Kate or I without a bottle)
- 4moms infant tub
- More muslin swaddle blankets
- Munchkin Nursery Projector and Sound System
- Summer Infant SwaddleMe blankets
- BRICA Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector (I find this necessary cause we have leather seats and being a nanny I know what car seats can do to you seats, plus they help keep the car seats in place)
- Britax Head and Body Support Pillow
- Back seat mirror for viewing babies while driving
- Diaper pail we want the Ubbi cause it’s made of steel and is cloth diaper friendly.
- Wipes warmer (I know many people find this unnecessary but I always think how much nicer it would feel being warm for an adult let alone and infant)
- BumGenius Freetime All-In-One One-Size Hook & Loop Closure Cloth Diaper (I’m not sure how many to get and if we should get more than one kind since so many people like prefolds, this just seems easier)
- Breast pump bra
- Breats pads in overnight and regular cloth
- BABYBJORN Bouncer Balance Soft (we have one but think we’d like 2)
- Graco Gotham Smart Organizer System Back Pack Diaper Bag
- 4Moms Infant Insert
- ERGO Baby Carrier Bundle of Joy (I would like to know how other liked this model and the infant insert)
- Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer
- Baby Jogger 2014 City Select Stroller w/2nd Seat (Is this all that necessary when you plan on baby wearing most of the time? Kate wants it now and I think it can wait.)
- Comotomo bottles
- My Brest Friend Twins Plus Feeding Pillow
- Tommee Tippee Electric Bottle Warmer
So what do you think: should we wait on some of this or go for it and why? What’s your take on what we have already and what we don’t? What do you think we need more of or that we don’t have already including things for us and nursing?
We are planning on getting a used double electric breast pump from someone we know, and Kate will rent the hospital grad one in a month or so to start her lactation. Everything listed I always am searching for used first and new only when I can’t find it used in good condition. So far most of what we have has been very gently used.
Baby shower post and moving update post to follow. I’m keeping up with all of you as best I can, sorry if I don’t comment.